Today I decided to go back on my 2018 reading goals and see how I actually did with them. Shall we?
1. Be more picky with my books - and for me that means reading less YA books.
- this was my goal in 2018, and I think I did okay with it. I tried to limit my ya consumption in 2018, and while I still read many, I didn't read too many I guess. I read The Black Witch, which was good, and I tried reading The Iron Flower which was garbage. I read both Scythe and Thunder Head and enjoyed both of them a lot. I re-read Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom and still loved them the 2nd time around. I tried reading Wicked like A wildfire which was garbage, but We are Okay was a pleasant surprise. I even attempted a ya contemporary Simon vs. which was a big mistake, but A forest of a Thousand Lanterns became one of my favorites. I also read Dry which was okay-ish, and Skyward which was good but could have been better. There were more, really, but I don't feel like naming them all. Looking back I read quite a few, but I was certainly picky and only had a few very bad plops, which I just dnf'd.
2. Reading more of women fiction genre (something along the lines of Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine).
- women fiction is a genre that I might be addicted to, at times. I read The Lio, which was a great surprise. I also read quite a few books by Liane Moriarty, and while not all of them were good, most were: The Hypnotists' love story (loved), Truly Madly Guilty (mehhh), Three wishes (pretty good!), Big Little Lies (loved),The Last Anniversary (nope). The Cast, Not Her Daughter and Open Your Eyes were all from NetGalley and they were pretty good reads, especially Not Her Daughter I could not put that down. I also read Seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo, and despite popular opinion I did not like it, I found quite problematic. All the good parts was garbage, but Life on the leash was good (dogs!). This genre is such a hit or miss for me - it's a total gamble (even from authors I know).
3. Lower my Goodreads reading goal.
- 52 is a good number. And I'm sticking to it in 2019 as well.
4. Read more Brandon Sanderson books.
- I'm on my 9th Sanderson book. I think I did pretty well!! Alloy of Law (loved), Shadows of Self (really liked a lot), The Bands of Mourning (err nope), Warbreaker (loved), 3 Steven Legion novellas (adored all of them), Skyward (pretty good) and currently reading Elantris.
5. Re-read some of my favorites.
- I think the only re-read this year were Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. Ohh, and the Hunger Games trilogy. And I'm happy to say that I still love all of those books.
6. Read some classics - particularly I'd like to read Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Little Women and The picture of Dorian Grey in 2018.
- Okay, so I did read Jane Eyre and The Picture of Darien Grey. I also read Agnes Grey. But that's it. Therefore this goal is my top priority for 2019 - read more classics.
It seems like I did really well with my goals, and while it's true, I also read a lot of crappy books in between those goals. But I also read some very good books too. I'd rate my 2018 reading year as "it was good, but could have been much better".